The Pan American Athletics Association is pleased to report that three athletes from the Americas are among the 5 finalists of the World Athletics 2021 Best Athlete nominees.
Less than 10 days before the 2021 World Athletics Awards, the governing body of athletics in the world, confirmed that Elaine Thompson-Herah from Jamaica, Sydney McLaughlin from the United States and Yulimar Rojas from Venezuela are on the list of the best 5 athletes in the world.
These are the results obtained by the athletes of the Americas
Elaine Thompson-Herah, Jamaica
– 100m, 200m and 4x100m Olympic Champion
– 100m Diamond League Champion
– 100m and 200m National record holder, the second fastest of all time
Sydney McLaughlin, United States
– 400m Hurdles Olympic Champion
– 4x400m Olympic Champion
– Set two world records for 400m hurdles
Yulimar Rojas, Venezuela
– Triple Jump Olympic Champion
– Triple Jump Diamond League Champion
– Triple Jump World record holder
The other two finalists are:
Sifan Hassan, NED
– 5000m and 10000m Olympic Champion
– 1500m Olympic bronze medalist
– 10000m World record holder
Faith Kipyegon, KEN
– 1500m Olympic Champion
– 1500m Diamond League Champion
– 1500m Kenyan record
* Listed in alphabetical order
The voting process included 3 stages, the World Athletics Council and the World Athletics Family cast their vote via email, while fans voted online on the World Athletics social media platforms.
The vote of the World Athletics Council counted 50% of the result, and the votes of the World Athletics Family and those of the public totaled 25% each.
The winner will be announced at the 2021 Athletics Awards which will run virtually on December 1, 2021.
By Constanza Mora Pedraza – APA Press